Release Date: May 02, 2014 (US)
Director: Marc Webb
Writters: Steve Ditko, Alex Kurtzman, Stan Lee, Roberto Orci, Jeff Pinkner, James Vanderbilt
Jamie Foxx as: Max Dillon / Electro
Co-Stars: Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone
Runtime: 142 min
Genres: Action, Fantasy
Rated: PG-13 for sequences of sci-fi action/violence
Production budget: $200 million (estimated)
Box office: $708.9 million
Links: Imdb – Official Site
In The Amazing Spider-Man 2, for Peter Parker (Andrew Garfield), life is busy – between taking out the bad guys as Spider-Man and spending time with the person he loves, Gwen (Emma Stone), high school graduation can’t come quickly enough. Peter hasn’t forgotten about the promise he made to Gwen’s father to protect her by staying away – but that’s a promise he just can’t keep. Things will change for Peter when a new villain, Electro (Jamie Foxx), emerges, an old friend, Harry Osborn (Dane DeHaan), returns, and Peter uncovers new clues about his past.
Jamie Foxx’s Character
Max Dillon is an electrical engineer who works for Oscorp Industries. Foxx described the character as “a nobody” who initially idolizes Spider-Man. He develops an obsession with Spider-Man after being saved by him and obtains his powers through an accident at Oscorp involving electric eels.
“Max Dillon is an underdog, not a villain – you want to feel badly for him. He’s a man who has been ignored his whole life. But when he becomes Electro, he wants recognition, at all costs. Electro, the villain, is taking out his frustration and anger on humanity, specifically targeting Spider-Man. No good deed goes unpunished” – producer Avi Arad says. “No one remembers his name, no one cares if he comes to work, he has no family, no one to care about or to care about him. He has one role model, one friend in his mind, and it’s Spider-Man. But when he misinterprets one of Spider-Man’s actions, he feels betrayed. It hardens him. Things fall apart. And he becomes Electro. Max was living in the dark, unnoticed; as Electro, he’ll take away everyone’s power, and they will know what it was like to live that way. That’s a great villain.”
More pictures here!
- This is the first “Spider-Man” film to be filmed entirely in New York, and the largest film production ever in New York City.
- The movie was shot from February 4, 2013 to June 25, 2013.
- Jamie Foxx is the first African-American to play a villain in the Spider-man films.
- Jamie Foxx wore 21 thin silicone facial prosthetics, which works better than foam when it comes to mimicking skin.
- Jamie Foxx and Chris Cooper are the first Oscar winners to portray Spider-Man villains.
- To promote this film, Jamie Foxx briefly changed his Twitter user-name to “Electro”.
- To get Electro’s look right, the FX team studied electrical phenomena.
- Early on in the film, Max Dillon has a birthday cake in his fridge that is white with green icing and yellow lightning bolts. This is an homage to the original Electro suit from the comics.
- Shortly after the film was released in theaters, a petition was started on for a longer director’s cut of the film, which would help fix the film’s plot-holes and add in the more violent and disturbing scenes which were trimmed to get a PG-13 rating. The petition reached over four thousand signatures in three days.
- When Spider-Man and Electro fling one another at the climactic fight, the heavy bass version of “The Itsy Bitsy Spider,” a running gag in this series, can be heard when the electric nodes are hit.